Wednesday, March 5, 2014

#downsizing #flirtingwithminimalism

In July, I left my job of 8 years to be home with my kids full time. I was due to have our second child in August and child care was going to be expensive, consuming the majority of my paycheck. The rest of my check would probably also go to added expenses of me working, such as food for lunch breaks (take out or home), food to send with the kids rather than make our own here, clothes for work and then gas. Since then, I have been looking for other ways to save and downsize. I have almost developed a hobby out of living a more minimalist kind of life. It's easy to do if you're a creative type, living in a 2 bedroom apartment with a family of 4 and 3 dogs. Yup. 3 dogs. I cook all our meals, even baby food, except on the rare occasion we get take out, I breastfeed the baby, I have downsized junk we don't use and have made the most of our space.

My latest thought is to go back to being a one-car family. Something we haven't been since before we became parents. My car and the added maintenance are beginning to be cumbersome and something I would rather not deal with. 

My husband and I are going to really consider the pros and cons, pray and consider alternatives before making a decision. I'll be honest, this one scares me a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment